Saturday, March 17, 2012

One hard lesson

It is evident to me that the one who beholds high expectations, begets bitter disappointment.

The one who is expectant is grossly surprised. I’ve heard people so if you want something enough you’ll get it, or something along those lines. Do you think those people discovered that portion of the tongue that discovers such such tangs of olives and the bite of the humble lemon. I think they went, they saw and they conquered the sweet side of life. The side most commonly traveled by those lucky folk. I was selected to attend a leadership camp for my high school. They carefully explained that not all that are selected are promised leadership positions.

By the end of the camp I was very excited and felt very confident. I had applied for Deputy Head Boy, Head of Sport and as a Peer Support. I returned on sign out day highly expectant of obtaining the Head of Sport position based on my abilities and my results at camp. Turns out they could not offer me any positions and was turned down all positions except for Peer Support. Of course being greatly disappointed I posted my feelings on facebook as the lowly emotional teenager I am. But more recently I had developed strong feelings for someone that I had known for a good half year or so.

I felt amazing around this person and they made it very obvious that they also felt rather fantastic in my presence. This continued with our communication via txt, facebook and social gatherings which increased exponentially. I made it clear that I have trouble asking her in particular out and she made it equally clear that the man asks out the lady. She specifically didn’t want to be asked out via electronic device and i rightfully didn’t want to ask in that method anyway. So on Christmas Eve I wrote her a letter, on Christmas Day at 1:00am I placed it in her letterbox along with a box of Scorched Almonds.

At this point I was adamant that she’d say yes. I was waiting for her to say yes. I was going to be with her and I was so happy. 4 days, 20 hours and 11 mins later she says no via facebook. I believe the lesson is now : “It is the fool who beholds the highest expectations, begets the bitterest of disappointments.”

I suppose this requires for me to not expect anything good. If you have anything to say, say it. Whether it be constructive, deconstructive, positive or negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment